Information The Tox Box is a household hazardous waste chemical collection program operated by the Johnson County Recycling District located at 1051 Hospital Road in Franklin. The Tox Box accepts most household chemicals at no charge for Johnson County residents only – these include the following:
- Oil-based paint/stains
- Aerosol cans (if empty, please recycle)
- Automotive fluids
- Pool chemicals
- Cleaning products
IMPORTANT: LATEX PAINT IS NOT ACCEPTED. Disposing of latex paint at our site is considered illegal. Please see instructions for proper drying out and disposal of latex paints listed below; also see additional list of items that are not accepted at the Tox Box. Thank you!
Tox Box Address1051 Hospital Road Franklin, IN 46131
DIRECTIONSFrom U.S. 31 in Franklin – Take U.S. 31 south past S.R. 44 (Jefferson Street) to Hospital Road. Turn west (right) on Hospital Road (past Walgreen’s and the Marathon gas station). Take Hospital Road to the stop sign (Johnson County Highway Department will be on your left). The Tox Box will be the first left past the stop sign at the west end of the Highway Department. Proceed through the gate and stop next to the small shed on the left. Someone will be out to assist you.
Hours of Operation
Hours are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9am – 3pm.
Instructions to Dry Out Water-based Paint & Stains
We recommend the use of a commercial paint hardener. You should follow the disposal instructions that are provided on the hardener’s label. However, if you do not have ready access to a commercial paint hardener, clay cat litter can be a great alternative. See instructions:
- Add equal parts clay cat litter to latex paint in the can (one part paint to one part clay cat litter). If you have more than a half a can, you can also pour the paint into a plastic lined cardboard box then pour in cat litter.
- Stir the cat litter into the paint until it has an oatmeal-like consistency that will not spill out.
- Allow the paint and cat litter mixture to sit until dry.
- Throw the dried paint in the can in the garbage with the lid off.
Additional Items the Tox Box Does Not Accept
- Medications – Please see our Medication Disposal page for proper disposal information.
- Florescent tubes and ballasts – These taken by residents or businesses to Lighting Resources, 498 Park 800 Drive, Greenwood at 317-888-3889. Call them for fees and disposal information.
- CFL bulbs (curly bulbs) – CFL bulbs be taken to the Lowe’s or Home Depot service desk for FREE environmentally safe disposal.
- Propane tanks – Small cylinders can be taken to Crossroads Recycling, 100 Eastview Dr. Franklin, IN 46131 at 317-736-6099. Larger grill tanks can be taken to any location that carries Blue Rhino brand propane tanks.
- Fire Extinguishers – Extinguishers can be taken to Crossroads Recycling, 100 Eastview Dr. Franklin, IN 46131 at 317-736-6099.
- Large quantities of chemicals or volatile materials. Materials such as radioactive materials, bio-medical wastes and explosives WILL NOT be accepted.
THE TOX BOX IS OPEN TO RESIDENTS ONLY! If you are a business or CESQG with disposal needs, please call NuGenesis at 800-487-1010. For additional HHW (household hazardous waste) options and information, check out the Indiana Household Waste Taskforce, Inc. website.